6 Benefits of Yoga
Adding yoga to your fitness routine has many incredible benefits, not just for your body but for your mind too. Here are 6 top benefits of practising yoga:
- Relieves stress and anxiety: Yoga is a great natural medicine for stress. It encourages mental relaxation, and many use it to help cope with and reduce anxiety. Specific yoga positions can help you release blockages such as tension and emotions and enhance your overall mood and sense of well-being.
- Promote sleep quality: Yoga may help you if you suffer from insomnia symptoms. Regular sessions can help manage insomnia and promote better and longer sleep. Once your mind and body have been relaxed and destressed, you tend to find that you can fall asleep quicker!
- Improve balance and flexibility: Regularly practising yoga can help to improve your balance and flexibility. Yoga stretches your muscles and increases your range of motion by encouraging the body to hold the poses for extended periods. This can take time to notice the improvement and impact of the stretching, so be patient with yourself and keep going!
- Help improve breathing: We learn to practise different breathing techniques in yoga. In these exercises, we learn to control our breathing, which helps keep our lungs stronger and improve efficiency.
- Help to improve strength: Yoga is a strength-based workout. Throughout the exercises, you learn to hold poses and repeat them, which helps to increase muscle endurance.
- Reduce pain: As yoga helps build strength and improve flexibility and function, it can really help reduce pain and tension in your joints as it is a less stressful workout.